Aaliyah was an American singer best known for her debut album ‘Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number’ born on January 16, 1979, In New York, U.S.
She was the daughter of Michael Haughton and his wife Diane. She had one brother who she had been very close to. She was very family oriented and had close relations with her parents and grandmother also.
Aaliyah was engaged to music mogul Dame Dash at the time of her passing.
Aaliyah attended Detroit schools and believed she was well-liked, but got teased for her short stature.
Aaliyah had signed with Jive Records and her uncle Barry Hankerson Blackground Records when she was just 12. Her debut album, ‘Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number’, recorded when the singer was just 14, was released in 1994. The tremendous success of the album catapulted Aaliyah to international stardom. During this time, rumors of her illegal marriage to her mentor and recording artist and producer R. Kelly began circulating. In 1997, she contributed on the soundtrack album for the animated feature ‘Anastasia’, performing a cover version of “Journey to the Past”. In 1999, she had been selected to play her first film role in the action movie ‘Romeo Must Die’, starring opposite martial arts star Jet Li. The film, released in 2000 had been a huge commercial hit. Her third album named, ‘Aaliyah’, published in July 2001, which was reached No. 2 on the Billboard album chart. The album sold more than 190, 000 copies in the first week itself.
On August 25, 2001, at 6:50 p.m, she died in a plane crash.
- Aaliyah had been originally cast as Jessica Alba’s ‘Honey’, but passed away before filming began.
- Her full name Aaliyah Dana Haughton.
- Aaliyah’s name means “highest, most exalted one” in Arabic.
- Aaliyah’s debut album ‘Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number’ spawned the hit singles ‘Back & Forth’ and ‘At Your Best’, both of which were certified Gold by the RIAA. The album went on to sell over six million copies worldwide.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1996, She received the Billboard Music award.
- In 2000, She received the MTV Video Music award.
- In 2002, She received the American Music award.
What can we learn from Her??
Like Aaliyah, Always ready to learn from your mistakes, never hide your mistakes. Take perfection in your work.