Colin Powell is an American statesman and a retired four-star general in the United States Army born on April 5, 1937, In New York, U.S.
He is the son of Luther Theophilus Powell and Maud Arial. Luther had worked as a shipping clerk and Maud as a seamstress. He had one sibling Marilyn Powell.
In 1962, He married Alma Johnson. They have one son, Michael and two daughters, Linda and Annemarie.
Powell had completed graduation, in 1954, from Morris High School. Later He had received his BS degree in Geology from the City College of New York in 1958 and obtained an MBA degree from the George Washington University, thirteen years later.
He had joined the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) and had experienced training. He became commander of his unit and enjoyed the experience, which had helped him choose a military career. After completed his graduation, He had joined the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant. From 1968 to 1969, as a young major, He had visited Vietnam to review the My Lai massacre incident when American forces supposedly killed 300 commoners. His report had given the American forces a clean chit. In 1989, He had become the youngest and the first African-American officer who served as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He retired from the army four years later. He had founded America’s Promise Alliance, In 1997, to help children learn and succeed. It meets people from all walks of life to help young people achieve their ambitions. His first book titled ‘My American Journey’ had been written with Joseph E. Persico, and in 2012, He had published ‘It Worked for Me. It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership’. He has recently become a member of the board of directors of revolutions Health, owned by business leader Steve Case, which is a health-related website, It provides online tools to help people better manage their health.
- His full name is Colin Luther Powell.
- As a member of the ROTC, Powell had joined the Pershing Rifles.
- As a teenager, he got a job at a baby furniture store.
- Powell had become famous during the Operation Desert Storm in Iraq in 1991. In keeping with his ‘Powell Doctrine’, He had supported most force to get maximum success and minimum fatalities.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1988, He received the Academy Of Achievement Golden Plate Award.
- In 1991, He honored the Presidential Medal Of Freedom
- In 1993, He received the Ronald Reagan Freedom Award.
- In 2002, He honored the Liberty Medal.
- In 2005, He received the Woodrow Wilson Award For Public Service.
What can we learn from Him?
Like Colin Powell, Being responsible. Don’t be afraid to challenge the pros, even in their own backyard.