Devendra Fadnavis is an Indian politician and 18th incumbent Chief Minister of Maharashtra born on 22 July 1970, In Nagpur, India.
He is the son of Gangadhar Fadnavis and Sarita Fadnavis. His father served as a member of the Maharashtra Legislative Council from Nagpur while his mother was the former Director of Vidarbha Housing Credit Society. He comes from Brahmin family.
In 2005, He married Amruta Fadnavis. She is a Banker, singer, and social activist. The couple has one daughter Divija Fadnavis.
He received his primary school education from Indira Convent. He then moved to the Saraswati Vidyalaya school, where He got most of his schooling. After completing schooling, Fadnavis attended Dharampeth Junior College for his intermediate. Later He obtained at Government Law College, Nagpur, for a five-year integrated law degree, and graduated in 1992. He also received the Post graduation degree in Business management and a diploma in methods and techniques of project management from DES, from Berlin.
Devendra Fadnavis began his career at an RSS Shakha at Trikoni Park. He entered the Maharashtra unit of BJP as a ward President. From the year 1986 to 1989, He had been an active member of ABVP and channelized the youth towards the reconstruction of society. At the age of 21, He becomes the youngest Municipal corporator of the Nagpur Municipal Corporation. He had been elected the president of the BJP’s Maharashtra unit by the then BJP president Rajnath Singh overriding former president Nitin Gadkari’s suggestion to give another term to Sudhir Mungantiwar. Fadnavis started the party in Maharashtra during the 2014 General Elections. Presently, He serves South-West Nagpur constituency in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly.
- He is a strong believer in Swami Vivekananda’s philosophy
- He was an RSS Shakha Member.
- At the age of 44, Devendra Fadnavis became the second youngest Chief Minister of the state.
- In October 2016, His photo with Pune based criminal Baba Bodke which triggered controversy after it made rounds on social media.
- In April 2016, whilst directing a rally in Nashik, Fadnavis had said that, every Indian will have to sing ‘Bharat Mata ki Jai’ and those who refuse to sing the slogan should not live in the country rather than go to Pakistan or China.
Important Positions Held
- In 1994, State Vice President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
- Member, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly for three consecutive terms since 1999.
- In 2001, National Vice President, Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
- In 2013, President, BJP state unit Maharashtra.
- In 2010, General Secretary, BJP Maharashtra Pradesh .
Awards and Achievements:
- Best Parliamentarian Award for the year 2002-2003 by the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.
- Rajyogi Neta Award by Prunavad Parivar, Nasik
What can we learn from Him?
Like Devendra Fadnavis, being able to achieve a compromise is a useful tool at the time of conflict.