George Fernandes was a former Indian politician, journalist agriculturist, and member of Rajya Sabha from Bihar born on 3 June 1930, In Karnataka, India.
He was the son of John Joseph Fernandes and Alice Martha Fernandes. He was the eldest of six siblings.
On 21 July 1971, He married Leila Kabir, the daughter of former Union minister Humayun Kabir. They had one son Sean Fernandes, who is an investment banker based in New York. They divorced in the mid-1980s.
He had started his school education at a government school near his house called “Board school”, a municipal school and a church school. later he had joined the St. Aloysius College, Mangalore where He had completed his Secondary School Leaving Certificate.
In 1949, he had moved to Mumbai in search of a job. He had taken a job as a proofreader for a newspaper. Here, He had come into contact with veteran union leader Placid D’Mello and the socialist Rammanohar Lohia, who were the greatest influences on his life. He had become a national figure overnight after the 1967 Lok Sabha elections. SK Patil who was the leader of Mumbai Congress, known to be filling party coffers since Jawaharlal Nehru’s time, had the fame of being unbeatable. George disappeared him in his own constituency and defeated him with the ease of handling a switch. That had been the first of the many victories that earned him the reputation of being a ‘giant killer’. In 1967, He had been offered a party ticket for the Bombay South constituency by the Samyukta Socialist Party against the politically more democratic Sadashiv Kanoji Patil of the Indian National Congress in Bombay. Mr. Fernandes had developed as a key leader in the upsurge of strike actions in Bombay and had been first elected to Parliament. During 1989-1990, He had been the Railway Minister and strongly preferred the Konkan Railways project. When Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA formed Government in 1998, He had given the defense ministry. He played an important part in Pokhran Nuclear test and Kargil War.
At the age of 88, George Fernandes died on 29-01-2019 in New Delhi, India. He suffered from a prolonged illness. Before some days, He had been caught by swine flu.
- George Mathew Fernandes was his full name.
- He had started his career with a job as a proof paper in a newspaper.
- He knew 10 languages.
- In 1994, He had founded Samata Party.
- On 10, October 2006, the Central Bureau of Investigation filed an FIR against George, Jaya Jaitly, and Admiral Sushil Kumar for illegally Purchasing 7 Billion Barak 1 system from Israel in 2000.
- He had been very proactive and had even opposed Indira Gandhi openly during Emergency in 1975. He had even had to go underground to prevent arrest. However, He had been still arrested in 1976 and tried in Baroda Dynamite Case.
Awards and Achievements:
- George Fernandes’ last stint as a parliamentarian had been as Rajya Sabha MP between August 2009 and July 2010.
- In 2009, He had Sworn in as an independent candidate for the mid-term poll being held for seats in the Rajya Sabha.
What can we learn from Him??
Like George Fernandes, Build up your management and leadership skill. Never stopping dreaming. Always think positive.