James Watson, Who is an American Molecular Biologist and known as Zoologist born on 6 April 1928, In Chicago, United States.
He is the son of James D. Watson, a businessman, and his wife Jean Mitchell. He has one sibling, Elizabeth Jean Watson.
In 1968, He married Elizabeth Lewis. The couple has two sons, Rufus Robert Watson and Duncan James Watson. Rufus, who suffers from schizophrenia.
He attended Horace Mann Grammar School around eight years and South Shore High School around two years. In 1943, for his further education, He had gone to the University of Chicago on the tuition scholarship and completed his graduation from the University of Chicago with B.S degree in Zoology in 1947. He did his Ph.D. research at Salvador Luria’s laboratory.
Starting off his career, Watson had been realized that the understanding and learning of x-ray diffraction had been very important to describe the structure of DNA. In 1951, He had visited the Stazione Zoologica ‘Anton Dohrn’ in Naples. In 1953, Watson and his partner Crick finally deduced the double-helical structure of DNA at the Cavendish laboratory. Later, In June 1953, Watson presented a paper on the double helical structure of DNA at the 18th Cold Spring Harbor Symposium. In 1956, James had become the Assistant professor of Biology at Harvard University. later he became the full professor of Biology and remained on the faculty till 1976. His personal research had been on RNA and it is a role in the transfer of genetic information. He had served as the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory’s director and also served as President for about 35 years.
- James full name is James Dewey Watson.
- During his undergraduate years, He had shown his interested in the field of ornithology.
- In 1949, James had published one of the landmarks paper in Phage genetics.
- James had spent his most of his professional life as a professor, research administrator and public policy spokesman for research.
- In 1953, James Watson had co-discovered the double helical structure of the DNA molecule, which is one of the most important discoveries of the 20th century.
- The 2007 controversy had significantly dented Watson’s image and as a result, his financial condition became so poor that he had to auction his Nobel Prize medal in 2014.
Awards and Achievements:
- James Watson has been honored with several distinguished awards for his tremendous achievements.
- In 1962, He received the Nobel Prize.
- In 1971, He received the John J. Carty award.
- In 1993, He received the Copley Medal.
- In 1994, He received the Lomonosov Gold Medal.
What can we learn from James Watson?
Like James Watson, Believe in yourself. Give your 100% effort in any work.