Kapil Dev is former Indian cricketer and formally known one of the greatest cricketers of all time born on 6 January 1959, In Chandigarh, Punjab, India.
He is the son of RamLal Nikhanj and his wife Raj Kumari. They lived in Shah Yakka nearby which is now in Okara district Pakistan. His father was timber merchant.
In 1979, He met Romi Bhatia and married with her in 1980. The couple blessed with one daughter, Amiya Dev.
He completed his education at D.A.V and St. Edward’s School in Shimla. Later he joined the Desh Prem Azad in 1971.
In November 1975, He made his match debut for Haryana against Punjab. He had lost six wickets and restricted the opposition to make just 63 runs and thus helped Haryana to win. In 1976-1977, He had played against Jammu-Kashmir, In that match, he took 8 wickets and scored 36 runs in one match. In the same year, he received the 7/20 figure against West-Bengal. In October 1978, He made his test debut against Pakistan. In 1979, He played against West-Indies team and made his century, Scored 126 runs in 124 balls and took 17 wickets during the series. in 1979-1980, When Australian Cricket team tours in India, he established himself as India’s main fast bowler and took 28 wickets in series. He was most popular when he had led India to 2 victories in the 6-test home series against Pakistan. Kapil Dev performed very well with both bat and ball. He had taken a ten-wickets and had scored two half-centuries in the series. He had Finishing the series with 32 wickets and 278 runs. During 1982-1983, He had been captain and led his team in 1983 World Cup, and won the World Cup by defeating West-Indies in the finals. In 1987 World Cup, India lost in the semi-finals against England. After this, Kapil Dev left captaincy. In 1992, He had played his last World Cup under the Captaincy of Mohammad Azharuddin. In 1994, He retired as the highest wicket-taker. In 1999, He became the Coach of Indian Team, but as a coach, he was not successful. In 2000, He resigned as a Coach.
- He was never run out in any test match.
- He is the first player to reach 250 wickets in ODIs.
- He has appeared in few movies.
- Kapil Dev is the only player in the history, Who achieve all rounder’s doubles of 4,000 runs and 400 wickets in test cricket.
- He is the youngest player to achieve 1000 runs and 100 wickets at the age of 21.
- In 2000, When he was coach of Indian cricket team, His name appeared in the match-fixing and resigned subsequently.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1980, He received the Arjuna Award.
- In 1982, He received the Padma Shri honor.
- In 1983, He received the Wisden cricketer of the year award.
- In 1991, He received the Padma Bhushan honor.
- In 2010, He honored the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame.
What can we learn from him??
Like Kapil Dev. Always take the strong point. If you think, you can do this, so do with a smile.