Kirk Douglas is an American actor, filmmaker, author, and centenarian born on December 9, 1916, In New York, U.S.
He is the son of Herschel Danielovitch and Bryna Sanglel Danielovitch. Kirk has six sisters.
On November 2, 1943, He married Diana Dill. They have two sons. The couple divorced on February 23, 1951. On May 29, 1954, He married Anne Buydens. They have two sons, Peter and Eric.
After completing high school He had been able to get a loan from the Dean of the St. Lawrence University to pay for his studies. He had got a scholarship for studying acting from New York’s ‘American Academy of Dramatic Arts’ which placed his acting talent.
Kirk Douglas had started his acting career with a handful of minor roles in several Broadway productions. In 1941, He had joined the US Navy during the second world war and had returned to acting in the theater after the end of the war in 1945. In 1948, He had acted in the low-key drama ‘I Walk Alone’ beside Burt Lancaster for the first time. In 1951, He acted in the film ‘Ace in the Hole’. The ‘Bad and the Beautiful’ which had brought him his second Oscar nomination in 1952. In 1955, He had started his own Production company, “Bryna Productions”. In 1957, He had acted in the anti-war epic ‘Paths of Glory’ and the magnificent film ‘Spartacus’ in 1960 under the banner of Bryna Productions. In 1966, He had acted in the film ‘Cast a Giant Shadow’ based on the Israeli freedom struggle. In 1980, He had worked in sci-fi film ‘Saturn 3’ with Farah Fawcett came out. He had produced two great movies ‘Dance with the Devil’ and ‘The Gift’ in 1990 and 1992 each. In 2003, He had acted with his son Michael in the film ‘It Runs in the Family’. In 1997, He had published the non-fiction, ‘Climbing the Mountain: My Search for Meaning’ and in 2003 and ‘My Stroke of Luck’.
- His real name is Issur Danielovitch Demsky.
- He Once Ran For President.
- Izzy Demsky is his nickname.
- He had written the biographical work ‘Let’s Face It: 90 Years of Living, Loving, and Learning’ in 2007 and ‘I am Spartacus! The making of a Film, Cutting the Blacklist’ in 2012.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1957, He won the Golden Globe Award.
- In 1968, He won the Golden Globe Award.
- In 1981, He won the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
- In 1991, He won the AFI Life Achievement Award.
- In 1999, He won the Screen Actors Guild award.
What can we learn from him??
Like Kirk Douglas, Never give up on your bad time and situation. Believe in yourself and do your work smartly.