Lata Mangeshkar is famous Indian Playback singer and occasional music composer, born on 28th September 1929, In Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
Her father Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar was classical singer theatre actor, Her mother was Shevanti who was Lata’s father’s second wife. Lata is the eldest child of her parents. Meena, Asha, Usha, and Hridaynath are her siblings. Lata comes from Marathi speaking Gomantak Maratha family.
At the age 5, She took her first lesson from her father. She also studied with Aman Ali Khan Sahib and Amanat Khan. On the first day of the school, she started to teaching song to other children, Her teacher stopped her. She was so angry at that time and she stopped to going to the school.
In 1942, after her father died, Her family friend Master Vinayak helped her to start her career as a singer or actress. In 1945, Lata moved to Mumbai with Master Vinayak, Where she started taking the lesson in Hindustani Classical Music from Ustad Aman Ali Khan. In 1946, She was sung “Paa Lagoon Kar Jori” in Hindi movie Aap Ki Seva Mein. In 1948, After Vinayak’ death, Music director Gulam Haidar gave her chance as a singer, at there she met Sashadhar Mukherjee, who was working on the film Shaheed, but Mukherjee rejected Lata because of her Thin voice. In 1950s Lata sung many songs composed by various music directors. In 1956, She made his first debut in Tamil playback singing with Vanaradham in Tamil song “Enthan Kannalan”. Lata sang many Raga based song in many films such as Deedar, Baiju Bawra, Amar, Uran Khatola and Mother India. Before 1957, R.D Burman Choose Lata as a leading female singer for his musical score in Sazaa, House No 44, Devdas(1955), and many others.
From the 1940s to 1970s, Lata sang Duets with her sister Asha Bhosle, Usha Mangeshkar, Mohammad Rafi, Suraiya, Kishore Kumar, Manna Dey, Hemant Kumar and Mahendra Kapoor. In 1990s Lata started singing duets with Pankaj Udas, Mohammad Aziz, Abhijit Bhattacharya, Udit Narayan, Kumar Sanu and Suresh Wadkar.
In the 2000s, Lata duets mainly with Udit Narayan and Sonu Nigam. Her last well-known songs were “Kaise Piya Se” from Bewafa film and “Shayad Yahi To Pyaar Hai” from Lucky: No Time For Love.
- Her original name is Hema.
- In 1990, She launched her first production house with Lekin, which was directed by Gulzar.
- Lata Mangeshkar sang over 25,000 songs in 20 Indian Languages.
- In 1974, She listed in The Guinness Book of Records as the most recorded artist in the history more than 25,000 in 20 Indian languages. but Mohammad Rafi claimed to have sung around 28,000.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1959, She received the Filmfare award.
- In 1969, She Honorary with the Padma Bhushan award.
- In 1973, She won the National Film award.
- In 1990, She won the Dadasaheb Phalke award.
- In 1994, She won the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement award.
- In 1999, She honored with the Padma Vibhushan award.
- In 2001, She received the Bharat Ratna award.
What can we learn from Her??
Like Lata Mangeshkar, Always respect your elders. Take passion to learn new things in like. Never ignore anything that you can not do.