Lennox Lewis who is a three-time world heavyweight champion, a two-time lineal champion, born on 2 September 1965, In London, England.
He is the son of Carlton Brooks and Violet Lewis. He has one half-brother Dennis Lewis.
He married Violet Chang. They have four children. After retirement, he moved to Miami Beach with his wife and his children.
In 1977, He had attended the Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute. He had realized his true passion for sports while playing football and basketball in school.
At the age of 18, He realizes his love for boxing and decided to make his career in boxing. By 1983, He became a dominant amateur boxer and had also represented Canada in the super heavyweight category at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles but lost to Tyrell Biggs, who subsequently earned the gold medal. At the 1986 World Amateur Boxing Championship, He lost in the preliminary round to Petar Stoyanov, which had to dishearten him for a couple of months, But He had never given up hope and eventually won several more titles in the following years. In 1989, After winning the Olympics gold, He had turned professional and moved to England, Where He signed up with the American promoter, Main Events. In late 1990, He trapped the European heavyweight title beating Frenchman, Jean Maurice Chanet and in 1991 He had also won the British title against the undefeated world champion, Gary Mason. In 1992, he won the Commonwealth title against Derek Williams and by then, He had been already the ‘consensus top-five heavyweights’ in the world. On September 24, 1994, He had lost his title to Oliver McCall at the Wembley Arena in London. In the second round, McCall coupled his blows with a strong right hook, planting Lewis flat on his back. In April 2000, He famously knocked out the towering 6 feet 8 inches Michael Grant in Madison Square Garden and in the same year He knocked out South African Francois Botha and David Tua. On June 8, 2002, He had defended his title against Mike Tyson and in the following year, He fought Vitali Klitschko, the WBC world contender, and champion. In 2004, He had declared his retirement from the sport and decided to continue other interests including music promotion and sports management.
- His full name is Lennox Claudius Lewis.
- The Lion is his nickname.
- In 2008, He had Appeared on Donald Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice competition.
- Apart from the C.M., the heavyweight champion had also been awarded the M.B.E (Member of the Order of the British Empire) and the C.B.E (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) for his assistance to the sport of boxing.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1988, He had been awarded the Member of the Order of Canada.
- In 1999, He had been received the most prestigious sporting award in Britain, ‘BBC Sports Personality of the Year’.
- In 2008, He had been enlisted into Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame.
- In 2009, He had been enlisted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
What can we learn from Him??
Like Lennox Lewis, Motivate yourself and make your life successful.