Manna Dey, Who was an Indian playback singer born on 1 May 1919, In Calcutta, India.
He was the son of Mahamaya Dey and his wife Purna Chandra Dey.
In December 1953, He married Sulochana Kumaran, She came from Kerala. They had two daughters, Shuroma Dey and Sumita Dey.
He started his early school education in Indu Babur Pathshala, a small pre-primary school. latter he attended the Scottish Church Collegiate School and Scottish Church College. He completed his graduation from Vidyasagar college.
He had begun taking music lesson from Krishna Chandra Dey and Ustad Dabir Khan. After completed his education, He started working with his uncle as an assistant music director. later he worked with S.D Burman and assisted other music composers. In 1942, He got his first playback singing break in the movie Tamanna, In that the musical score was by Krishna Chandra Dey. In 1943, He got his first solo break with the movie Ram Rajya. After he sang many songs with many music composers such as Anil Biswas, Jafar Khurshid, Pandit Indra. He sang his first-time songs composed by S.D Burman. latter he worked with such legendary such as Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, and Asha Bhosle. In 1954, He became most popular among musical circle across in various languages music industries. Kishore Kumar and Manna Dey had recorded only six songs together including two hugely popular songs ”Yeh Dosti’ from Sholay and ‘Ek Chatur Naar’ from Padosan. Lata and Manna Dey Recorded fusion songs which were used both Indian and western instruments. After giving more hit and popular songs, He returns back from the Hindi music industry since 1992. but he had continued to give songs in Bengali movies, sang Bhajans, and Ghazals in different languages.
On 24 October 2013 at the age of 94, He passed away due to the Heart attack.
- His original name was Prabodh Chandra Dey.
- In 1956, He sang 45 songs in the one year.
- In his singing career, Manna Dey sang in many languages, mainly Bengali, and Hindi. He sang more than 1200 songs in Bengali, 85 songs in Gujarati films, 55 songs in Marathi and several others in 10 different languages.
- His daughter, Sumita, Has alleged in a complaint to the police. Altogether Rs 30 lakh had been siphoned off from a joint bank account here of Manna Dey.
Award and Achievements:
- In 1971, He honored with the Padma Shri award by Government of India.
- In 2005, He received the Padma Bhushan award.
- In 2007, He received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award.
- In 2011, He received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement award.
- In 2011, He received the Banga-Vibhushan by the Government of West Bengal.
What can we learn from him??
Like Manna Dey, do your work with full of concentrate. Build your confidence. never lose your self-confidence.