Maria Sharapova who is Russian professional tennis player who had been ranked No.1 in singles by WTA, Born on 19 April 1987, In Nyagan, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union.
She is a daughter of Yuri Sharapova and his wife Yelena Sharapova. She has no any brother or sister.
In 2005, She dated singer Adam Levine, but shortly she ended their relations. In 2008, She had the relationship with television producer Charlie Ebersol. In 2010, She announced her engagement with Slovenian Basketball player Sasha Vujacic. The couple separated in 2012.
She received her education at Keystone National High School, Pennsylvania. Later he joined the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida for professional training in tennis.
In November 2000 at the age 13, She had won the Eddie Herr International Junior Tennis Championships in the girls’ 16 division and received the Ring Star award. In 2001, She made her professional debut. In 2002, She had made her WTA debut at the Pacific Life Open. In 2003, She had made her debut at Australian Open and French Open, But unluckily she lost the first round at both tournaments. Later she won the maiden WTA title at Japan Open tennis championship. In 2004 at the Wimbledon, she won her first Grand Slam Singles title. At the age of 17, She defeated the champion, Serena Williams. As a result, she ranked top 10 for the first time. In 2005, She became the first Russian women who hold the No.1 ranking. In the same year, she made her semifinal of the clay-court tournament for the first time at the Italian Open. In 2006, Maria Sharapova had reached the semifinals of Australian Open but lost in fourth round of French Open and had also been defeated in the semifinals of the Wimbledon by the champion Amelie Mauresmo. She had won second Grand Slam Title by defeating Justine Henin and win the U.S Open. In 2007, Due to her injuries, her ranking fell below top 5. In 2008, She won her third Grand Slam title by defeated Ana Ivanovic in the finals of the Australian Open. Due to a shoulder injury, she did not play more part of the year. After the treatment, She did make comeback. In 2012, She won her first French Open title. In the same year, she also won the Silver Medal at the 2012 London Olympics. In 2013, She along with Jeff Rubin had a launched “Sugarpova”- a premium candy line. In 2014, She won second French Open title.
- She is the most searched Athlete on Yahoo in 2005 and 2008.
- She is the Brand Ambassador for UN goodwill.
- Maria is a big fan of Architecture and music.
- Her favorite colors are Yellow and Pink.
- Her middle name is Yuryevna.
- She is the first Russian woman to win the Wimbledon Grand Slam.
- She launched her own tennis apparel line: The Nike Maria Sharapova Collection.
- At the age 15, She became the youngest person who reached the finals of Australian Open junior tournament in 2002.
- She had said once that She did not know Sachin Tendulkar was.
- she had failed a drug test at the 2016 Australian Open, As a result, WTA suspended her for 2 years.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 2003, She received Russia Cup Newcomer of the year award.
- In 2003, She won the Women’s Tennis Association Newcomer of the year award.
- In 2004, She received the WTA Most Improved Player of the year award.
- In 2007, She won the ESPY Best Female Tennis player award.
- In 2010, She won the WTA Humanitarian of the year award.
- In 2010, She received the Most Fashionable Player award.
What can we learn from Her??
Like Maria Sharapova, Do what you love but have a conscience. Never stop dreaming.