Mary Kom is an Indian Olympic boxer from Kom tribe Manipur, born on 24 November 1982, In Kangathei, Manipur, India.
She is the daughter of Mangte Tonpa Kom and his wife Mangte Akham Kom. she comes from poor family.
In 2000, She married footballer Karung Onkholer. They blessed with three sons.
She had started his school education at the Loktak Christian Model High School, later she moved to St. Xavier Catholic School up to VIII. Later she attended the Adimjati high school for class IX and X, but she didn’t pass the exam.
In 2000, She won her first Best Boxer award at the first state-level invitation at the women’s boxing championship in Manipur. After that, she had proceeded to won Gold Medal. During the year 2001 to 2006, she won the AIBA world boxing championship trice in 2002, 2005, and 2006. That was the big achievement for her. In 2008, She had participated in the Asian Women’s Boxing Championship, India, and she had won the Silver Medal. In the same year, she won Gold Medal in AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championship, China. The next year, She had gone to Vietnam, From where she earned the Gold Medal in Asian Indoor Games. she participated next many championship games and won the Gold and Silver Medals. In 2010, She had participated in Asian Games and won the Bronze Medal. In 2014, Asian Games which had been held in Incheon, and South Korea. She won the Gold Medal in the Flyweight category.
- She is 5 times AIBA Champion.
- She comes to boxing after her college.
- She Founded MC Mary Kom Boxing Academy in her home state.
- She won the Silver Medal at her first tournament.
- She continued boxing after becoming a mother of two children.
- She is the first Indian women boxer to win a gold medal in the Asian Games in 2014.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 2002, She won the Witch Cup award.
- In 2003, She won the Gold Medal in Asian Women’s Championships award.
- In 2003, She received the Arjuna Award.
- In 2004, She received the Gold Medal in women’s world cup.
- In 2007, She received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- In 2010, she received the Padma Shri.
- In 2013, She received the Padma Bhushan award.
What can we learn from Her??
Like Mary Kom, You should not lose hope till you quit. Stay strong. Believe in your strength.