Meg Whitman is an American Business Executive, political activist and served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Hewlett Packard Enterprise born on 4 August 1956, In New York, U.S.
She is the daughter of Hendricks Hallett Whitman Jr. and his wife Margaret Cushing. She has one brother Hendricks Hallett Whitman II| and one sister Anne Whitman.
On June 7, 1980, She married neurosurgeon and Rhodes Scholar Dr. Griffith Rutherford Harsh. They have two sons, Griffith Rutherford Harsh V and William Harsh.
Whitman attended the Cold Spring Harbor High School in New York, where she graduated in 1974. Later she attended the Princeton University. In 1977, She received B.A degree in economics. Then she enrolled in the Harvard Business School and completed M.B.A degree in 1979.
In 1979, Meg joined the workforce as a brand manager at Procter & Gamble in Cincinnati, Ohio. Then she had been hired by Bain & Company’s San Francisco office as a consultant. In 1989, She had been employed as a vice-president of strategic planning at The Walt Disney Company. After two years, In 1995, She accepted the job offer at Stride Rite Corporation, Where She began serving as the president and CEO of Florists’ Transworld Delivery. In March 1998, She joined the eBay, when it had only 30 employees and revenues of approximately $4 million. On December 21, 2006, Whitman and her husband donated 300,000 shares of eBay’s stock to a charitable foundation. In January 2011, Whitman became the member of Hewlett-Packard’s board of directors, after eight months, she had been appointed as CEO of the company. After becoming CEO she made some changes to improve the company’s financial situation. During 2012, Republican primaries, Whitman once again supported Romney. She had supported former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie during the 2016 Republican primaries and had served as the finance co-chair of his campaign. On July 26, 2017, Whitman stepped down as a chairwoman of the HP Inc’s Board of directors.
- She wanted to be a doctor.
- Her real name is Margaret Cushing.
- She had done several fundamental changes in the administration of the company, like completely changing the website. She set up her own executive team, divided the company into twenty-three business categories, and designated executives to each.
- She had been criticized for exploiting and humiliating her housekeeper Nicky Diaz Santillan.
- It was reported that Meg did not vote for 28 years.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 2008, She received the US Business Hall of Fame.
- She was honored by the Glamour Women of the Year award.
- In 2011, She received the International Entrepreneur of the year award.
- In 2014, She received the Corporate Citizenship.
What can we learn from her??
Like Meg Whitman, Establish clarity with your reports. Learn from your failure.