Mohammed Rafi, who was one of the greatest playback singers in the Hindi film Industry, born on 24 December 1924, In the village of Kotla Sultan Singh, Punjab, India.
His father name was Haji Ali Muhammad and his mother name was Allah Rakhi Bai. Rafi was the second eldest of six brothers. His brother’s name was Shaheed, Parveen, Hamid, Khalid, and Nasreen. Rafi came from Islam Religion.
Rafi married twice in his life. first, he married his cousin Bashira. They had one son Saheed. Their marriage life ended due to political tension during the partition in 1947. later he married Bilquis Banu. They had 4 children. Nasreen, Khalid, Parveen, and Hamid.
In 1941, He made his first debut as playback singer in Lahore with the ‘Soniye Nee, Heeriye Nee’. In 1944, He moved to Mumbai to try his luck for the singing career in Hindi Film Industry. In 1945, He made his first Hindi film debut with the film of ‘Gaon Ki Gori’. at the time, He appeared in two Hindi movies. He had appeared on the screen for Tera Jalwa Jis Ne Dekha song in the film Laila Majnu. Rafi sang many songs such as “Mere Sapnon Ki Rani, Roohi Roohi”, “Tera Khilona Toota Balak”, and the duet with Noor Jehan in 1947 “Yahan Badla Wafa Ka”. In 1949, He also sang solo songs with the music directors like Naushad, Shyam Sundar, and Husnlal Bhagatram. Rafi worked with S.D. Burman in several movies such as Pyaasa, Kagaz ke Phool, Kala Bazar, Nau Do Gyarah, Kala Pani, Tere Ghar Ke Samne, Aradhana, many other movies. With the Shankar Jaikishan, he gives the most of famous and hit songs in Hindi Film Industry. Rafi also produced his songs for the Actors like Shammi Kapoor and Rajendra Kumar under Shankar Jaikishan. Rafi also worked with Ravi. He received the National Film Award for the song Chaudhvin Ka Chand, which was sung by Ravi. With the partnership, Ravi and Rafi Produced several songs in the films like China Town, Kaajal, and Do Badan. Rafi had also worked many other singers and composers like Laxmikant-Pyarelal, O. P. Nayyar, and Madan Mohan. Rafi sang the highest number of duets with Asha Bhosle. Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar.
On 31 July 1980, Because of Massive Heart attack, He died at the age of 55.
- His nickname was Pheeko.
- He made his first public performance was at the age of 13.
- Rafi got about six Filmfare awards and one National Film Award.
- Rafi had invited by Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru at his home.
- Rafi fall in controversy with Lata Mangeshkar, During 1962, Lata claimed that the playback singers entitled to half of the 5% royalty claimed by the producers from the songs recorded by them.
- The controversy over famous Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar, In a letter dated 11 June 1977 to the Guinness Book of World Records, Rafi had challenged the claim that Lata Mangeshkar has recorded the highest number of songs.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1948, He received the Silver Medal from the Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- In 1964, He won the Sur Singer Award.
- In 1966, He received the Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for the film Arzoo.
- In 1967, He awarded the Padma Shri from Government of India.
- In 1977, He received the National Film Award for the film Hum Kisise Kum Nahi.
What can we learn from Him??
Like Mohammed Rafi, do your work with passionately. Take an action at the right time. be strong in your life.