Nagavara Ramarao Narayana Murthy who is known as N.R. Narayana Murthy is co-founder of Infosys, born on 20 August 1946, In Mysore, Karnataka, India
He is the son of N. Rama Rao, who was the high school teacher and his wife Parvathamma Murthy. He comes from Madhwa Brahmin family.
He married Sudha Kulkarni. She is a social worker and author in Kannada and English. They have two children. son name is Rohan Murthy and daughter name is Akshata Murthy.
In 1967 After completing his school education, He entered in the National Institute of Engineering to obtain the Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. In 1969, He received the Master degree from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
After completing his education, He started work at IIM Ahmedabad, where he worked as a chief system programmer. He designed and implemented a BASIC interpreter for Electronics Corporation of India Limited. He had started a company named Softronics. When that company failed after about a year and a half, He had joined Patni Computer Systems in Pune. In 1981, Murthy and other six professionals founded the Infosys. Murthy served as CEO of Infosys for 21 years from 1981 to 2002. He also served as a director of DBS Bank, Unilever, and ICICI. The performance of Infosys suffered in his absence and thus he had returned to the company as Executive Chairman and Additional Director in June 2013. He resigned as an executive chairman in 2014.
- In 1981, He borrowed 10,000 rs from his wife to start Infosys.
- Murthy, a self-proclaimed socialist in the mid-1970s, He was jailed for 72 hours in Bulgaria.
- Infosys had been battered by allegations of poor corporate governance by Narayana Murthy and fellow founders, including criticism of acquisitions and executive pay.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 2002, He honored with the Padma Shri.
- In 2003, He received the Young World Entrepreneur of the Year award.
- In 2008, He honored with the Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
- In 2011, He received the NDTV Indian of the Year’s Icon of India.
- In 2013, He received the Sayaji Ratna.
What can we learn from him??
Like N.R. Narayana Murthy, Experience plays the vital role in our life, so learn from your experience.