Ravi Shankar, Who was a composer of Hindustani classical music born on 7 April 1920, In Benares, British India.
He was the son of Shyam Shankar Chowdhury and his wife Hemangini Devi. His father was middle temple barrister and later worked a lawyer in London. Ravi had seven brothers. Ravi had been coming from Bengali family.
In 1941, He married Annapurna Devi, Who was the daughter of Allauddin Khan. The couple divorced in 1942. They had one son, Shubhendra Shankar. Ravi had affair with dancer Kamla Shastri. He had in relationship with Sue Jones, They had one daughter Norah. In 1989, Ravi got marriage with Sukanya Rajan. They had one daughter Anoushka.
He visited the Peris at the age 10 with his brother Uday Sankar and his dance group. Within a few years, he had the member of the group. In 1938 after his parent’s death, He gave up his dancing career and started studying Indian classical music. Sometimes he studied with Ali Akbar Khan and Annapurna Devi. In 1939, He started duet with Ali Akbar Khan. He completed his musical training under Allauddin Khan in 1944, He moved to Mumbai and joined the ‘Indian People’s Theatre Association, Where he composed music for ballets. He re-composed the popular song ‘Sare Jahan Se Achha’ at the age 25. He also worked as a music director at All India Radio, New Delhi from 1949 to 1956. In 1955, He performed Indian classical music in New York City. During that time, with his personal problem, He declined the offer. In 1962, He established his Kinnara School of Music in Mumbai. He also taught music at the city college of New York, University of California and Los Angeles, And also gave the several guest lectures in other universities. In the year 1970s, He had collaborated with George Harrison of ‘The Beatles’ and had recorded ‘Shankar Family & Friends’ in 1973. In 1989, he also composes dance drama ‘Ghanashyam’ and released album ‘Passage’.
On 6 December 2012, He had admitted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in California because he suffered from breathing problem. On 11 December 2012 after the surgery of Heart Valve Replacement, He died.
- He had been started his career as a Dancer.
- His real name was Robindro Shounkor Chowdhary.
- He was nominated for the Oscar.
- In 1986, He was nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha.
- In 1982, He composed music for Hollywood movie Gandhi.
- In 1961, He was offered several opportunities to compose music for non-Indian films.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1962, He won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
- In 1967, He honored with the Padma Bhushan.
- In 1981, He honored with the Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India.
- In 1998, He received the Polar Music Prize.
- In 1999, He received the Bharat Ratna Award.
What can we learn from him??
Like Ravi Shankar, control your anger. Never be hyper in the difficult situation. Do your work with passionately.