Sonia Gandhi is an Indian politician and has been the leader of Indian National Congress party from 1988 till now, born on 9 December 1946, In Louisiana, Veneto, Italy.
She is Widow of former Prime Minister of India, Rajiv Gandhi. she comes from Nehru – Gandhi Family. Her father Stefano Maino, who was a building mason, he owned the small construction business in Orbassano. Her mother Paola Maino. She has two sisters.
In 1968, Sonia Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi married, In a Hindu ceremony. Later she went into her mother-in-law house and then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi. They have two children, Son Rahul Gandhi, and Daughter Priyanka Gandhi.
In 1964, she entered in English school at the Bell Educational Trusts in the city of Cambridge. she met Rajiv Gandhi at Greek restaurant, who was enrolled in Trinity College at the University of Cambridge.
After the assassination of her Mother-in-law and her husband’s election as prime minister, Her involvement with Indian public life began. In 1984, she actively campaigned against the Menka Gandhi who was running against Rajiv Gandhi in Amethi. In 1991, After assassinated of her husband Rajiv Gandhi, She refused to become a Prime Minister. In 1999, she was elected as the “Leader of the Opposition” of 13th Lok Sabha. After sometimes of the election, Sonia recommends Manmohan Singh as her choice as a Prime Minister. All the party member accepted her decision. On 23 March 2006, She resigned from Lok Sabha and became a chairperson of National Advisory Council. As a chairperson of NAC, She played an important role in National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme and the Right to Information Act into law. Under her leadership, Congress won the decisive majority in the 2009 general election with Manmohan Singh as the Prime Minister.
In August 2011, She underwent the successful surgery of cervical cancer, at Memorial Sloan–Kettering Cancer Center, New York. In 2013, She became the first to serve as Congress President for 15 years.
- She can speak nine languages including French and German.
- She is very particular to keep her home neat and clean. Often she dusting her room herself, before an important meeting.
- She is the very good cook.
- After One month of her marriage, Her mother was returning her hometown Italy.
- She does Yoga daily and avoid to eat street foods such as pasta, Noodles, and pizza.
- In 2004, Sonia launched the nationwide campaign on the Aam Aadmi slogan in contract to “India Shining” slogan to BJP leads NDA alliance.
- Sonia and Rahul Gandhi, often taking mysterious trips out of the country and never talk about the trip. Swamy claimed on her managing her foreign bank accounts.
- Congress was looking a mission 272+ in 2014, Sonia blamed on Anna Hazare accusing him Spreading “malicious misinformation”.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 2013, She ranked 21st and 3rd most powerful woman by Forbes Magazine.
- In 2010, she was listed as the ninth powerful person on the planet by Forbes Magazine.
- In 2007, Sonia was named of Time 100 most influential people in the world.
- In 2006, She received the Order of King Leopold award by the government of Belgium.
What can we learn from her?
Like Sonia Gandhi, To Be an unconventional leader in your life.Never say never in any situation, be confident to take the risk in life.