Vikram Sarabhai was famous Indian scientist and widely called the father of “India’s Space Programme” born on 12 August 1919, In Ahmedabad, India.
His Father was Kumar Ambalal Sarabhai and mother was Sarla Devi. He came from famous Sarabhai family in India.
He was passing the intermediate science exam from Gujarat college in Ahmedabad. In 1940, He went England for his further study. He entered in St. John’s College, University of Cambridge, Where he received the degree in Natural science. After coming to India, He joined the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore to research on cosmic rays.
In 1945, He went Cambridge, for further research on cosmic rays and earned Ph.D. for ‘Cosmic ray investigations in tropical latitudes’. On November 11, 1947, The institute established named M.G Science Institute by Vikram Sarabhai with the support of Kurukshetra Educational Foundation and the Ahmedabad Education Society. The main focus was to research on cosmic rays and properties of the upper atmosphere. In 1960, He established the Vikram A Sarabhai Community Science Center (VASCSC). In 1965, He founded the Nehru Foundation for Development, which promotes the basic study on current problems of individual development. The establishment of ISRO is one of the greatest achievement of his life.Homi Bhabha fully supported him in setting-up the first rocket launching station in India, Which was established at Thumba near Thiruvananthapuram. After he set up Operations Research Group (ORG) first market research organization in the country. He performed the major role to establish the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), In Ahmedabad.
In 1942, He married to Mrinalini, classical dancer. They have 2 children. Son name Kartikeya Sarabhai, who became an active person in science. Daughter name, Mallika Sarabhai, who gained the honor as an actress and activist.
On 30 December 1971, Vikram Sarabhai suddenly died in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India.
- Sarabhai was the mastermind behind India’s first Satellite, Aryabhata.
- He was also responsible for bringing cable of television in India.
- In 1947, Sarabhai found the Physical Research Laboratory in Ahmedabad.
- He founded the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Which became the largest government space agency in the World.
- When He got married to Mrinalini, He was said to have a relationship with Dr. Kamala Choudhary. For this reason, His married life was in trouble.
Awards and Achievements.
- In 1962, Sarabhai received the ‘Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Medal’.
- In 1966, He awarded the Padma Bhushan award.
- In 1972, He honored with the Padma Vibhushan award.
What can we learn from him??
Do your work with full of concentrate, Never think about other people’s opinions. Believe in yourself.