Kate Spade was an American Fashion designer and businesswoman born on 24 December 1962, In Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
She was the daughter of June and Earl Francis Brosnahan, Who owned Road construction company. She had five siblings.
In 1994, She married Andy Spade, brother of Comedian-actor David Spade. The couple had one child, Frances Beatrix Spade.
She had completed her graduation from the St. Teresa’s Academy, an all-girl Catholic High School. Later she had joined the University of Kansas, after some time, she moved to Arizona State University, where she completed her Journalism degree in 1985.
In 1986, Kate Spade had found work in the accessories department of Mademoiselle in Manhattan. She had been then known by her first name Kate Brosnahan. While at Mademoiselle, She had moved in with Andy Spade, her husband, a native of Scottsdale, Arizona. Spade had left Mademoiselle in 1991. She had decided to create her own range of stylish and chic handbags. Together with Andy Spade, she had been a team, both professionally and personally. Debuting with just six silhouettes, Kate Spade had launched her own brand of handbags. What made her handbags distinct from those in the market had been their modern yet stylish approach. They were sleek with bouts of color and available in utilitarian shapes. In 1996, with increasing the demands of Kate Spade Handbags had been born in a plush area in Manhattan’s trendy SoHo district. The first boutique which was a 400-square-foot shop had been a hit in the fashion circle. Finally, She had moved its headquarters into a 10,000-square-foot space in West 25th Street. In 2004, The brand crossed the geographical boundaries and went international by opening a store in Aoyama, Tokyo, and Japan. In the same year, ‘Kate Spade At Home’ had launched as a home collection brands such as bedding, bath items, tabletops, and various items for the home. Despite selling 56% stake to Marcus Group, Spade had continued to remain active in the brand that she had built. She overlooked at its creative output and was extremely conscious of its product line-up. Alongside her fashion chain, in 2004, Spade came up with three books in which she shared her personal style and philosophies.
On June 5, 2018, Kate Spade had been found dead in her Manhattan apartment by her maid. She had committed suicide by hanging herself.
- Her real name was Katherine Noel Brosnahan.
- Her first shop was Humble NYC Adobe.
- She started her career as a journalist.
- The discovery of Spade’s career came in when she started her flagship brand of handbags. Realizing the death of having stylish, modern yet sensible handbags in the market, Spade quit her promising career at Mademoiselle to start her own venture with her future husband Andy Spade.
Awards and Achievements:
- In 1996, She received the Council of Fashion Designers of America award.
- In 2004, She received the three design awards, House Beautiful’s ‘Giants of Design Award, Bon Appetit’s American food, and Entertaining Award for Designer of the Year’, and Elle Decor’s ‘Elle Decor International Design Award for Bedding’.
What can we learn from Her??
Like Kate Spade, Use Criticism to Make You Stronger. There is no any particular time to become a success.