Ratan Naval Tata, who is Indian industrialist, inventor and former chairman of Tata Sons was born on 28 December 1937, In Surat, India.
His father was Naval Tata and mother was Sonoo was divorced in 1948 when Ratan was ten years old and his younger brother was seven years old. After their parent’s divorce, Ratan and his younger brother Jimmy was raised by his grandmother Navajbai Tata. Tata has one half-brother Noel Tata from his father’s second marriage to Simona Tata.
Tata received his school education from Cathedral and John Connon School (Mumbai) and Bishop Cotton School (Shimla). In 1962, He received the B. Arch. degree in architecture and structural engineering from Cornell University. In 1975, He received the degree in Advanced management program from Harvard Business School.
In 1960, He started his career with Tata group. At the beginning, He worked as a General worker in Tata Steel. In 1991, Ratan Tata became a chairman When J.R.D Tata resigned from the chairman of the Tata Sons. This decision was criticized by many as Ratan Tata was not a suitable and not experienced person at that time. But with his Leadership skill, Tata groups reached new heights to become a global brand across the country. This Tata Group acquired many big brands under his leadership like Jaguar, Tetley, Land Rover. Tata Consulting Services (TCS) was built under the leadership of Ratan Tata. This group launched the Tata Nano and Tata Indica. Nano is the cheapest car in the world.
In 2012 on 75h birthday, Ratan Tata was resigned from all his responsibilities and to handover his all responsibilities to Cyrus Mistry, who is the son of Pallonji Mistry and M.D of Shapoorji Pallonji Group. Now Ratan Tata chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons. He continues to serve as a chairman of some of the major trusts of Tata groups. He is also a director on the board of Alcoa Inc.
- After completed his education, He received the job offer from IBM company, but he refused.
- Ratan Tata was not included in the list of billionaires or richest persons in the world.
- He loves to drive his own Ferrari California car during his free time.
- At the age of 21, He led the Tata Group, revenues grew over 40 times, and profit, over 50 times.
Award and Achievements:
- In 2000, He received the Padma Bhushan award.
- In 2006, He received the CNN IBN Indian of the year in Business.
- In 2008, He honored with the Padma Vibhushan, Inspired leadership, and Honorary Citizen.
- In 2010, He received the Hadrian Award.
- In 2014, He received the Sayaji Ratna Award.
What can we learn from Him??
Like Ratan Tata, Having a Big faith in yourself. Never stop adopting wide vision in life.